Advancing the Broadband Agenda
Penn State Cooperative Extension and Education Council to Host Video Seminar on October 14
COUDERSPORT, PA – (September 1, 2010) – To promote the opportunities to advance broadband in North Central Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Statewide Broadband Plan, a video conference seminar will be held at multiple North Central Pennsylvania sites on Thursday, October 14 from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. This seminar will highlight infrastructure and mapping projects, best practices and successful strategies that municipal leaders and business organizations may implement for the successful deployment of broadband in rural areas.
“The opportunities stem from Pennsylvania’s $28.8 million National Broadband Plan and Recovery Act grant for a middle mile infrastructure project in 32 counties north of Interstate 80,” said Mary Jo Shaub, PA eCommerce Association. “The grant will be used to add broadband capacity to Pennsylvania’s statewide public safety radio network, known as PA-STARNet. Local telecommunications companies and internet service providers will be able to purchase excess capacity at competitive prices to serve citizens, schools, businesses and other organizations. The commonwealth will also leverage PA-STARNet’s existing infrastructure by allowing broadband providers to lease space on its towers, helping to reduce the cost of providing access to less-populated regions.”
Who Should Attend: We welcome a wide range of individuals and entities interested in broadband adoption, deployment and policy issues, including:
• State legislators, administrators and regulators
• Local government entities
• Educational entities, including libraries
• Hospitals, physicians and other health care providers
• Economic development organizations and regional planning entities
• Nonprofit associations
• Public safety entities
• Law enforcement professionals and organizations
• Broadband providers and telecommunications companies
• Potter County Education Council, 227 North Main, Coudersport (814) 274-4877
• Warren County Cooperative Extension, 100 Dillon Drive, Suite 1, Youngsville (814) 563-9388
• Clarion County Cooperative Extension, 8 Grant Street, Clarion (814) 223-9028
• Elk County Cooperative Extension, Courthouse, 240 Main Street, Ridgway (814) 776-5331
• Jefferson County Cooperative Extension, 180 Main Street, Brookville (814) 849-7361
• Pennsylvania College of Technology, 1127 W 4th Street, Williamsport (570) 327-4775
• McKean County Cooperative Extension, 911 Center, Smethport (814) 887-5613
• Tioga County Cooperative Extension, Courthouse Annex, 118 Main Street, Wellsboro (570) 724-9120
• Clinton County Cooperative Extension, 47 Cooperation Lane, Mill Hall, (570) 726-0022
• Northern Tier Community Action, 135 W 4th Street, Emporium, Pa 15834, 814-486-3350
• Penn State Cooperative Extension, 668 Elm Street, Tionesta, PA 16353, (814) 755-3544
There is no charge for the event and a light breakfast will be served. To register, please call one of the host sites.
This event is sponsored by the Pennsylvania eCommerce Association, Penn State Cooperative Extension, Potter County Education Council, Empowered Municipality and North Central Pennsylvania Regional Planning Commission.
The event is funded through the Broadband Outreach and Aggregation Fund administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
Friday, October 8, 2010
Advancing the Broadband Agenda
Posted by Solomon's words for the wise at 10/08/2010 04:59:00 PM